Thursday, April 5, 2018

1 Nephi 8:7-9 -- On Praying for Light

"And it came to pass that as I followed him I beheld myself that I was in a dark and dreary waste.
And after I had traveled for the space of many hours in darkness, I began to pray unto the Lord that he would have mercy on me, according to the multitude of his tender mercies.
And it came to pass after I had prayed unto the Lord I beheld a large and spacious field."
1 Nephi 8:7-9


The thing that I thought of today while reading these verses is "What if they were the same place?"  The dark and dreary place turns out to be a large and spacious field... what changed?  God did, spreading his light and showing us the things around us more clearly.

I have no idea if that is the correct interpretation of the verses of course, but it doesn't really matter that much because that underlying idea of God lighting up our lives and showing us the good in the middle of even the worst times... that's still true.  God can help us see clearly and know how to navigate and tell the good from the evil (Moroni 7:15).

Today, let's do what Lehi did, and when we find ourselves in darkness, let's pray for God's light and mercy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews