Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Alma 29:10 -- On Joy and Remembrance

"And behold, when I see many of my brethren truly penitent, and coming to the Lord their God, then is my soul filled with joy; then do I remember what the Lord has done for me, yea, even that he hath heard my prayer; yea, then do I remember his merciful arm which he extended towards me."
Alma 29:10


I like the idea that seeing others happy fills us with joy.  Too often we seek joy in doing things for ourselves, and it never seems to quite work out.  But when we help others, and we care about their happiness, and work on helping them, then our joy gets topped off.  Another evidence that we're all in this together.

I also like the idea of memory here, and that it is part of joy.  When we sin, we move farther away from the spirit, which can "teach [us] all things, and bring all things to [our] remembrance" (John 14:26).  So, we start forgetting, and sometimes even unlearning, or denying, the things that we know of God.  When we get our lives straightened out, or place ourselves into a position where we can feel the spirit again, then we remember more, and we therefore feel more joy.  And, of course, the more we communicate with God and stay close to him, the more of those spiritual memories we have to call on, and the more filled with joy we can be. :)

Today, let's call on the Lord and recognize his merciful hand in our lives... and let's pray to and serve God, read the scriptures, and minister to others, so that we can remember more and more all that the Lord has done for them and for us, and thereby be filled with more and more joy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews