Sunday, January 8, 2017

D&C 84:119 -- On God Reigning With His People

"For I, the Lord, have put forth my hand to exert the powers of heaven; ye cannot see it now, yet a little while and ye shall see it, and know that I am, and that I will come and reign with my people."
D&C 84:119


I like the phrase "reign with my people" ... the word "with" seems to say it so much better than say, the word "over."  It expresses the idea that we and God are part of each other, working together, rather than in isolation.  And although I'm not sure that we are very good at collaborating with God now... yet... it will be true by that time, as we learn to make better and better choices regarding God and our fellow men, and become more and more worthy of being people that could be part of his community.

We can't see everything that God has in store for us, and we might not be able to visualize the idea of a perfect, Zion society... a place where there are no poor, and where everyone works together, but God promises that in "a little while" we will be able to see his hand, and the beginning of that vision. But just because we can't see it doesn't mean that we can't believe in it and work for it, even now.

Today, let's make choices that show our love for God and our love for our fellow men.  Let's stop and think how to do better when we catch ourselves making selfish choices.  Let's pray and ask God to teach us how to love better, to serve better, and to learn to be people who could live in God's community, with him.  It's a long way for all of us, I think, before we could feel comfortable in God's presence even for a little while, let alone seeing him every day.  I think though, that prayer is practice, and as we pray, and learn from scriptures and prophets and spiritual promptings, we learn to be comfortable with God in our lives.  So, let's pray, and start our path to this cool vision of the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews