Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Lamentations 3:55-59 -- On God and Dungeons

"I called upon thy name, O Lord, out of the low dungeon.
Thou hast heard my voice: hide not thine ear at my breathing, at my cry.
Thou drewest near in the day that I called upon thee: thou saidst, Fear not.
O Lord, thou hast pleaded the causes of my soul; thou hast redeemed my life.
O Lord, thou hast seen my wrong: judge thou my cause."
Lamentations 3:55-59


I think we all have times in our lives when we feel like we are in the "low dungeon."  At times like that, we turn to the Lord instinctively.  We feel alone, and sometimes God is the only one available who is willing to hear our cries.  And he helps us.  He calms our fears and he defends us, and he saves our lives.  When we have been wronged, we ask him to judge and bring justice.
Other times though, I think that we are sitting up a little higher in the castle, not really concerned with the low dungeon.  Maybe we're lucky enough to be on the throne, or maybe we're working in the kitchens, or we're minor nobility attending a ball, or maybe we're the doorkeepers.  Our lives are pretty good compared to that low dungeon.  When we have troubles, we usually tell them to a friend or if we're on the throne, maybe we consign many of our problems to the dungeons.
I think the thing that we often miss is that we need God in all of those places.  He is there to listen at all times... whether it is a ball or an execution.  He isn't just a foul-weather friend whose purpose for existence is to pull us out of dungeons.  He's there to rejoice with us as well, and to help us learn how to be better monarchs, cooks, guests, or doorkeepers... not just better prisoners. :)
Today, let's call on God in our triumphs and our tragedies, and in our mediocre moments.  Let's include him in whatever we're going through, whoever we are, and whatever our current titles or responsibilities.  Let's get to know him better, and get his help not only in getting justice, but also in being just.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews