Sunday, April 5, 2015

Galatians 2:20-21 -- On Giving Ourselves

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain."
Galatians 2:20-21


The law matters, of course, and we show respect to God by living it.  Obedience to it also changes us into people who will be comfortable in God's presence, which we are striving to get back to.  But obedience to commandments doesn't save us.  Christ does.  What he did for us gives us life, which I think is why this analogy is here.  He died for us, and we die too, joining with him in that necessity, but we are also reborn because of him... his life, in many ways, because he paid the price for it, which we were unable to pay on our own.  Righteousness comes because of Christ, who overcame the law, and who gives us a way to overcome sin and our own weaknesses.
Christ is not dead in vain.  He lives; he has saved us from physical death, and given us a way to overcome spiritual death.  His grace reaches us wherever we are, and allows us to turn and learn and become more than we could be on our own.  Today, let's turn to him, the only source of salvation we have.  He gave himself for us.  Let's give ourselves to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews