Thursday, December 4, 2014

D&C 104:11-14 -- On Stewardships and Sharing

"It is wisdom in me; therefore, a commandment I give unto you, that ye shall organize yourselves and appoint every man his stewardship;
That every man may give an account unto me of the stewardship which is appointed unto him.
For it is expedient that I, the Lord, should make every man accountable, as a steward over earthly blessings, which I have made and prepared for my creatures.
I, the Lord, stretched out the heavens, and built the earth, my very handiwork; and all things therein are mine."
Doctrine and Covenants 104:11-14


Here, God is talking about our responsibility to care for one another, specifically the poor.  Leading up to that are these verses, talking about stewardship and how each of us has to account for what we are given, since everything is the Lord's, and we are basically taking care of it for him.  The church had recently been told not to own everything in common anymore, because people weren't being obedient.  And I think that this is interesting as the back up.  If we can't pool our resources and provide for everyone, then things need to be split up.  However, we are individually responsible for how we balance things ourselves, and if we don't share, we're condemned.  If we do, then we're blessed.  Kind of like the parable of the talents, but with providing for others specifically thrown in.  It's a big responsibility to have--to make sure we share with everyone, not just our favorites. :)  Today, let's ponder our stewardship and think about how we can better help others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews