Saturday, December 13, 2014

2 Nephi 4:35 -- On Asking Wisely

"Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I ask not amiss; therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God. Amen."
2 Nephi 4:35


The first thing that struck me about this today were the words "if I ask not amiss."  To me, that seems like the factor that we are missing most of the time.  It's kind of like us as children when we asked our parents if we could keep the random wild animal that we ran across.  We really, really wanted it, but our parents knew that if we kept it, it would end up dying.  So, they said no, and tried to explain.  And still, even as adults, we ask for things that we shouldn't have.  Things that we can't possibly handle.  Sometimes things that will hurt us, or other people.  And God loves us infinitely... but love doesn't mean giving someone whatever they want.  Sometimes, even though God is listening, and does care, he has to say no.
Today, let's ask God for things that will improve us and improve the world around us.  Let's be careful to not ask for things that will harm us or hurt others.  God will give us liberally.  He will bless us with good things.  With wisdom, light, patience, gratitude, generosity... so many, many things in great abundance.  Let's find some of those perfect gifts and continue to lift up our voices to God to ask for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews