Saturday, August 2, 2014

D&C 58:26-27 -- On Growing Up

"For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.
Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;"
D&C 58:26-27


In 2 Nephi 32:3 we learn that "the words of Christ will tell you all things what you should do."  D&C 6:36 encourages us to "look unto me in every thought."  D&C 46:7 says "ye are commanded in all things to ask of God."  ... So, how does this fit in?  God wants us to ask him about everything, but then figure it out ourselves?  I think the answer is mostly yes. :)  God wants to be included so he can guide us when needed, help if things start going wrong, or correct us when we head in the wrong direction, but the idea is for us to figure life out, not to be robots programmed by God.
I've done this before, many time in my life.  I ask God about something, and then I pretty much sit there doing nothing at all about that particular thing while I wait for an answer.  But then I think of college students that treated me that way when I was teaching them and I realize how lame that is.  If I really want to learn something, I should be jumping in and trying to figure it out, not waiting around for clarification.  Not to say that there might sometimes be answers we need before we can move forward, but I think that we often put everything into that category when in actuality, very little belongs there.  Just as when we were children learning to become adults and make our own decisions,  God gives us room to become more independent.  When we learn to dress ourselves, we might still need some fashion advice, but we don't need as much help with not falling over or getting our shoes on the right feet.  So, even though we should still talk to God about everything and get his advice, we should also learn to take some initiative in our lives and do good when we have a chance to do good, rather than waiting for God to tell us to do it.  If we have an idea about how to help someone, or a lot of people, then let's talk about it with God, get his advice, but move forward.  It might be a little messier than waiting for approval at every step, and we might make a few mistakes... but mistakes in doing good things aren't sins.  They are just part of learning, and then we'll get better at helping and doing good.  Let's try it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews