Wednesday, April 23, 2014

2 Nephi 29:11-14 -- On God's Word

"For I command all men, both in the east and in the west, and in the north, and in the south, and in the islands of the sea, that they shall write the words which I speak unto them; for out of the books which shall be written I will judge the world, every man according to their works, according to that which is written.
For behold, I shall speak unto the Jews and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the Nephites and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the other tribes of the house of Israel, which I have led away, and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto all nations of the earth and they shall write it.
And it shall come to pass that the Jews shall have the words of the Nephites, and the Nephites shall have the words of the Jews; and the Nephites and the Jews shall have the words of the lost tribes of Israel; and the lost tribes of Israel shall have the words of the Nephites and the Jews.
And it shall come to pass that my people, which are of the house of Israel, shall be gathered home unto the lands of their possessions; and my word also shall be gathered in one. And I will show unto them that fight against my word and against my people, who are of the house of Israel, that I am God, and that I covenanted with Abraham that I would remember his seed forever."
2 Nephi 29:11-14


It is interesting that everyone is commanded to write the words that God speaks.  That means that every time in the history of the world that there has been a prophecy or revelation, that there should also be a recording of it... and it isn't a burden type thing, because it is supposed to help us when we are judged.  Maybe a good reason to keep a journal, if only of spiritual things. :)
The second verse in the selection is intriguing because it seems apparent that we have the Bible as the record of the Jews and the Book of Mormon as the record of the Nephites, but that we are still missing some major work or works of scripture.  And, as it says as the selections continue, we will all have each others' scriptures.  I like the part that says "my word also shall be gathered in one."  It is a cool idea that the scriptures from disparate groups will be gathered together in one volume.  It is kind of a hope that we all as separate branches of the house of Israel, or adoptees into that house through accepting the gospel, can be united as well.  It also brings home the idea that is presented in the first verse of the selection... God talks to everyone who will listen, everywhere.  The same commandments are presented to us all.  God has promised specific things to the house of Israel, and through those promises the whole world can be blessed.  God never tells anyone to go away, but always invites us to join him and become a part of those promises, and build on the faith of those who have gone before.
Today, let's read and learn from the records of those who had dealings with God... and instead of reinventing the wheel and trying to make it alone, let's build on that knowledge, and welcome God into our lives too, and learn more and become more, and write it down for those who will come after... so that as a people and a world, we will grow closer and closer to Zion, and unity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews