Tuesday, February 10, 2009

John 14:26-27 -- On Comfort and Peace

"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."
John 14:26-27


This is great. I think it is cool first of all that another name for the holy ghost is "comforter" ... I think we all need some comfort sometimes, and to know that it is always close is a good thing. Even when God tells us things that we don't really want to hear, that comfort is there, helping us through it. And then it goes on, and it says that he shall teach us ALL things... that is amazing. Nothing holds us back except ourselves from learning all there is to learn. The faster we learn the basics, the sooner we can go on to the harder basics. :) (Just because I think that we rarely graduate from grade school level stuff during our lives... somehow we have to have a lot of second grade review sessions and stuff.) :)
Also, the remembrance part is amazing as well. Life seems so much like amnesia... the veil is drawn and everything is foreign to us. ... but the whole remembrance thing solves that problem, at least a little... through the Holy Ghost, we have access to that part of ourselves, and we remember things that we never knew in this life, and we have moments where we recognize truth so thoroughly, it changes everything.... and even then, it isn't always a truth that we want to acknowledge... but having that remembrance feeling, and being able to have a wider perspective for that time helps us through. kind of like the pre-mortal me is having a chance to remind the mortal me what is really important, because I get confused.
And, then... Christ leaves us with his peace. Not the sort of peace that the world gives. No matter how sincere, that kind of peace is hollow; it can't really fill in the gaps. But God can. And we can draw upon that peace whenever we need it, so that we don't have to be troubled and afraid.

2 comments:

  1. Jesus was speaking to His disciples at the Last Supper when He said these things. It is a huge leap to apply the things he shared in private to the 11 (Judas had already left) to every believer today.

    Read the text in context. I am not saying that we do not have a Comforter, just that the promises made in John 12-16 do not apply to all who believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I understand your position, I believe that the Holy Ghost is a gift that is given to all who are worthy and accepting. I don't see that it is a leap, or any reason to restrict this scripture, which was given to everyone for a reason, to just a few.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews